Monitoring and responding to political violence in South Africa
The Human Sciences Research Council and the Institute for Security Studies in partnership with Gun Free SA, the South African Local Government Association and the Society, Work and Politics Institute at WITS University will co-host this closed workshop on political violence.
The workshop aims to deepen our understanding of the nature and extent of political violence. It will help identify evidence-based interventions to reduce the prevalence, risk and lethal nature of political violence, particularly in the lead-up to the 2019 national elections.
Chair: Prof Narnia Bohler-Muller, HSRC
- Welcome, HSRC
- Overview and nature of political violence, ISS and Gun Free SA
- Political violence in context, WITS SWOP
- Councillor harm and threats, SALGA
- Monitoring initiatives, ISS
- Discussion chaired by HSRC
The workshop will be run in four locations simultaneously, via video link. The venue details are:
- Pretoria: HSRC Video Conference, 1st floor, HSRC Library, 134 Pretorius St. Contact Arlene Grossberg, 012 302 2811, email@example.com
- Cape Town: HSRC, Merchant House, 116-118 Buitengracht St. Contact Carmen Erasmus, 021 466 7827, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Durban: The Atrium, 5th Floor, 430 Peter Mokaba Ridge, Berea. Contact Ridhwaan Khan, 031 242 5400, 083 788 2786, RKhan@hsrc.ac.za, or Wiseman Mbambo, email@example.com
- Port Elizabeth: Join via the Vidyo link: https://hsrc-vc.tenet.ac.za/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=GGKGXLnInSbnn5Mspk7JfF1qu8. Please contact Arlene Grossberg, is you need a link: firstname.lastname@example.org
Picture: Ashraf Hendricks/GroundUp